Labels

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Spotted Hyena, it is no laughing matter. Shaun Coetzee writes about his favourite animal.

As the camp manager at Tented Adventures, Pilanesberg,
my job revolves around the comfort and enjoyment of our guests in camp.
The main tent is usually where I can be found, either checking visitors in and out,
or preparing for dinner.

I do enjoy interacting with our guests during meals.
Either to hear stories about their game viewing experiences, 
or discovering what brought them to our corner of African paradise.

When I do have an opportunity, I invariably head off into the Park,
to do some game viewing of my own.
This is the time where I can re-charge my batteries
and take a moment to appreciate the fact that my job
 allows me access to wildlife literally on my doorstep. 

One of my favourite animals is the Spotted Hyena.
I do believe that it has a really bad reputation, but undeservedly so.
Some of the blame can be laid at the Disney doorstep, 
for their animated Hyena trio in The Lion King.
Shenzi, Banzai and Ed were certainly the epitome of what people believed Hyena to be.

Although they look awkward , they can move at a loping speed
 that they can maintain for many kilometres.
There are many myths and legends surrounding this "strange" creature.
From the Tanzanian legend where they believe witches ride them,
to the fact that they dig up and consume the dead.
Neither of which is true!

Not even the rain seems to bother them.
While I was dry and comfortable inside my vehicle,
this individual was standing out in the open getting soaked.

Although known as scavengers, hyena can hunt for themselves.
This "snack" was not about to be surrendered to other members of the pack.
Rather than give it up, this individual decided to make a run for it.

One of my favourite authors, Ernest Hemingway wrote this about them 
in his book "Green Hills of Africa (1935)"...
Fisi, the hyena, hermaphroditic self-eating devourer of the dead, trailer of calving cows, ham-stringer, potential biter-off of your face at night while you slept, sad yowler, camp-follower, stinking, foul, with jaws that crack the bones the lion leaves, belly dragging, loping away on the brown plain …
Hemingway: 1, Hyenas: 0.

This is often the best time to hear their maniacal whooping laugh.
Like the cry of the African Fish Eagle, the cackle of a hyena is as iconic.
They are not laughing for fun.
The pitch and note frequency of the laugh
 can give an indication of age and social status of an individual.

Why not come and share YOUR stories with me?
Join me around the camp fire as we all share our tales 
and favourite animal legends.

To find out more about what we offer,
visit our website:


Tented Adventures recently won a Lilizela Tourism award!
Well done to all concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment